The board of directors of a TWSE/TPEx listed company shall direct company strategies, supervise the management, and be responsible to the company and shareholders. The various procedures and arrangements of its corporate governance system shall ensure that, in exercising its authority, the board of directors complies with laws, regulations, its articles of incorporation, and the resolutions of its shareholders meetings.
The structure of a TWSE/TPEx listed company's board of directors shall be determined by choosing an appropriate number of board members, not less than five, in consideration of its business scale, the shareholdings of its major shareholders, and practical operational needs.
The composition of the board of directors shall be determined by taking diversity into consideration. It is advisable that directors concurrently serving as company officers not exceed one-third of the total number of the board members, and that an appropriate policy on diversity based on the company's business operations, operating dynamics, and development needs be formulated and include, without being limited to, the following two general standards:
- Basic requirements and values: Gender, age, nationality, and culture.
- Professional knowledge and skills: A professional background (e.g., law, accounting, industry, finance, marketing, technology), professional skills, and industry experience.
All members of the board shall have the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to perform their duties. To achieve the ideal goal of corporate governance, the board of directors shall possess the following abilities:
- Ability to make operational judgments.
- Ability to perform accounting and financial analysis.
- Ability to conduct management administration.
- Ability to conduct crisis management.
- Knowledge of the industry.
- An international market perspective.
- Ability to lead.
- Ability to make policy decisions.