Within the scope of execution of business, an independent director of a public company shall maintain independence, and may not have any direct or indirect interest relationship with the company. During the two years before being elected or during the term of office, an independent director of a public company may not have been or be any of the following:
Subparagraph 2 and subparagraphs 5 to 7 of the preceding paragraph and subparagraph 1 of paragraph 4 do not apply to independent directors appointed in accordance with the Act or the laws and regulations of the local country by, and concurrently serving as such at, a public company and its parent or subsidiary or a subsidiary of the same parent.
- An employee of the company or any of its affiliates.
- A director or supervisor of the company or any of its affiliates.
- A natural-person shareholder who holds shares, together with those held by the person's spouse, minor children, or held by the person under others' names, in an aggregate of one percent or more of the total number of issued shares of the company or ranking in the top 10 in holdings.
- A spouse, relative within the second degree of kinship, or lineal relative within the third degree of kinship, of a managerial officer under subparagraph 1 or any of the persons in the preceding two subparagraphs.
- A director, supervisor, or employee of a corporate shareholder that directly holds five percent or more of the total number of issued shares of the company, or that ranks among the top five in shareholdings, or that designates its representative to serve as a director or supervisor of the company under Article 27, paragraph 1 or 2 of the Company Act.
- If a majority of the company's director seats or voting shares and those of any other company are controlled by the same person: a director, supervisor, or employee of that other company.
- If the chairperson, general manager, or person holding an equivalent position of the company and a person in any of those positions at another company or institution are the same person or are spouses: a director (or governor), supervisor, or employee of that other company or institution.
- A director, supervisor, officer, or shareholder holding five percent or more of the shares, of a specified company or institution that has a financial or business relationship with the company.
- A professional individual who, or an owner, partner, director, supervisor, or officer of a sole proprietorship, partnership, company, or institution that, provides auditing services to the company or any affiliate of the company, or that provides commercial, legal, financial, accounting or related services to the company or any affiliate of the company for which the provider in the past 2 years has received cumulative compensation exceeding NT$500,000, or a spouse thereof; provided, this restriction does not apply to a member of the remuneration committee, public tender offer review committee, or special committee for merger/consolidation and acquisition, who exercises powers pursuant to the Act or to the Business Mergers and Acquisitions Act or related laws or regulations.
The requirement of paragraph 1 in relation to "during the two years before being elected" does not apply where an independent director of a public company has served as an independent director of the company or any of its affiliates, or of a specified company or institution that has a financial or business relationship with the company, as stated in subparagraph 2 or 8 of paragraph 1, but is currently no longer in that position.
The term "specified company or institution" as used in paragraph 1, subparagraph 8, means a company or institution that has one of the following relationships with the company:
For the purposes of paragraphs 1 and 2, the terms "parent", "subsidiary", and "group" shall have the meanings as determined under International Financial Reporting Standards 10.
- It holds 20 percent or more and no more than 50 percent of the total number of issued shares of the public company;
- It holds shares, together with those held by any of its directors, supervisors, and shareholders holding more than 10 percent of the total number of shares, in an aggregate total of 30 percent or more of the total number of issued shares of the public company, and there is a record of financial or business transactions between it and the public company. The shareholdings of any of the aforesaid persons include the shares held by the spouse or any minor child of the person or by the person under others' names.
- It and its group companies are the source of 30 percent or more of the operating revenue of the public company.
- It and its group companies are the source of 50 percent or more of the total volume or total purchase amount of principal raw materials (those that account for 30 percent or more of total procurement costs, and are indispensable and key raw materials in product manufacturing) or principal products (those accounting for 30 percent or more of total operating revenue) of the public company.
The term "affiliate" in paragraphs 1 and 3 means an affiliated enterprise under Chapter VI-1 of the Company Act, or a company for which consolidated financial reports are required to be prepared under the Criteria Governing Preparation of Affiliation Reports, Consolidated Business Reports and Consolidated Financial Statements of Affiliated Enterprises or under International Financial Reporting Standard 10.