A securities broker opening an account for a principal shall comply with the following:
A securities broker shall ensure that the items supplied on the applications are error free and complete. It shall not accept any order to trade in or subscribe to securities from the principal unless it completes the account opening process and the written confirmation procedures referred to in subparagraph 2 of the preceding paragraph and keys-in the account information and account number into the computer system of the TWSE.
- Except the following situation, if the principal is a natural person, he/she shall open the account against the original identity card and put signature/affix seal personally:
- where the principal is of no legal capacity or limited legal capacity, or has been declared by a court to be placed under assistance, his statutory agent, guardian, or assistant shall open the account against the original identity cards of the statutory agent, guardian, or assistant and that of the principal and put the signature/affix seal personally. If the principal has not received an identity card yet, a household registration certificate may be supplied instead. The guardian or assistant shall also provide documentary evidence that he or she is the guardian or assistant.
- where the principal is a person dispatched by a juristic person to work overseas, he may entrust an agent to open the account against the original identity cards of the agent and the principal as well as the power of attorney and certificate of employment overseas issued by the said juristic person, both legalized by an ROC representative office or an institution entrusted by such office. (3) where the principal specifies NT$1 million as the maximum daily trading volume and has not opened a margin trading account, the securities broker may open an account for him/her/it by correspondence or electronic means that is sufficient to identify the applicant as the principal himself/herself/itself and confirm his/her/its indication of intent, and the principal may determine at his/her/its sole discretion the manner in which credit check is to be performed, provided a new credit check must be carried out according to the relevant requirements if the maximum daily trading volume is to be adjusted.
- Where the principal handles account opening by written correspondence or electronic means, the TWSE Standards Governing Principal Identification and Management of Credit Line Categorization in the Processing by Securities Firms of Account Opening will govern.
- Where the principal is a juristic person, the authorized person shall provide a copy of the registration document of the juristic person, a copy of the notice of issuance of uniform number for taxable entities issued by the tax authorities (a profit-seeking enterprise may be exempt from submitting such copy of notice), the power of attorney, and photocopies of the identification cards of the responsible person of the juristic entity and that of the authorized person for processing. The securities broker shall confirm in writing that the account is opened through authorization.
- If the principal has engaged a custodian institution to open the account on its behalf, or submits proof that settlement is to be handled on its behalf by a custodian institution, it is not necessary to confirm in writing that the account is opened through authorization.
- Where the principal is a group that is not incorporated as a juristic person, it shall open the account in the individual name of its responsible person, and include the group name side-by-side therewith in the account name. To open the account, the responsible person shall submit a photocopy of certification that the group has been registered with the competent authority (or of its approval for establishment, recordation, or other evidentiary document of its registration), photocopy of the notice of issuance of a uniform number for tax withholding entities issued by the tax authorities (if exempt from income tax withholding, one copy of the Certificate of Exemption from Tax Withholding must also be submitted), and a photocopy of the National Identity Card of the responsible person.
- Except for certain account numbers that it may handle as an account without a number under exceptional circumstances for which reasons have been noted, the securities broker shall assign an account number sequentially to each account in the order opened; provided that numbers canceled in (calendar) years other than the current year may be used sequentially.
A securities broker to cancel an account for a principal may do so by correspondence or electronic means that is sufficient to identify the applicant as the principal himself/herself/itself and confirm his/her/its indication of intent.