For the purposes of these Regulations, the meanings of the following terms are as defined respectively:
- Foreign issuer: a juristic person registered under the laws of a foreign nation, or a financial institution branch meeting the conditions set by the Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC).
- Primary exchange (or OTC) listed company: a foreign issuer whose issued stock is not listed for trading on an overseas securities market at the time it is initially approved for exchange-listed or OTC-listed trading by the Taiwan Stock Exchange Corporation (TWSE) or the Taipei Exchange (TPEx) respectively.
- Secondary exchange (or OTC) listed company: a foreign issuer whose issued stock or securities representing stock are already listed for trading on an approved overseas securities market, and whose securities are approved for exchange-listed or OTC-listed trading, respectively, by the TWSE or the TPEx.
- Emerging stock company: a foreign issuer whose issued stock is not listed or traded on an overseas securities market, and its stock has been approved for registration by the TPEx as an emerging stock.
- Depositary institution: a domestically located financial institution that has been approved by the competent authority to engage in business relating to Taiwan depositary receipts; or an overseas institution that issues overseas depositary receipts in accordance with the applicable securities laws and regulations of the country of issuance.
- Custodian institution: either (i) a financial institution that has entered into a custody contract or another document with a depositary institution, whereby the custodian institution maintains custody of the underlying securities represented by Taiwan depositary receipts; or (ii) an institution that maintains custody of securities issued by a foreign issuer.
- Taiwan depositary receipts (TDRs): depositary receipts issued by a depositary institution in the ROC, the underlying securities of which have been placed in a custodian institution by a foreign issuer.
- Sponsor issuance: an act whereby a foreign issuer, acting in accordance with the terms of a deposit contract, assists in administering the issuance of TDRs and provides financial information in accordance with contractual stipulations.
- Effective registration: a foreign issuer registering a planned offering and issuance with the FSC by duly filing all required documents, with the registration to automatically become effective after a certain number of business days have elapsed from the date the filing documents are received by the FSC and any FSC-designated agencies, unless the required content of the filing documents is incomplete or supplementary explanations are necessary to safeguard the public interest or the FSC has rejected the filing documents.
- Business day: a trading day in the securities market.